Saturday, September 28, 2013

Day one Rome

Wow, what a day! I'm so blown away with all that I have seen. Today has been a mixture of awe inspiring works, both art and architecturally, and hilarious moments that have made today that bit more special.

We visited the Vatican museum, St. Peter's basilica, Sistine chapel, Spanish Steps, Trivi fountain, pantheon, and the Piazza navona. We walked, bussed and trained. But that not the best bit....
We saw dancing nuns, had hilarious conversations with Italian speakers on the bus (no one understood the other - Desma and Nelle are pretty sure one person asked us if we knew a Mr JohnManolo as supposedly everyone who lives in Australia comes from Sidney and must know John Manolo..) we then missed our stop and had to walk for ages ...

so many seats waiting to be filled to see the pope at mass. (the que to see inside the basilica was over 2.5 hours long!!!....so we just visited the museum and Sistene Chapel..I am glad as it gets hot in a handbag!)

We also found the only toilets in Italy (not really but it seemed like it at the time) that you don't have to pay for! So we made good use of them.... But I must say girls take way too long.... I as was almost pushing zzzz's!

Getting up to mischief while awaiting the girls from the loo. The Vatican has its own postcode!!!
 

Inside the Vatican Museum ..the frescoes were Amazing!


 
Oil lamps from early Christain era.

The view to the back of the basillica from the Museum.

Dancing NUNS!!! who would have thought!! They appared to be holding a Street Mission next to the spanish steps. Good on them I say!

Dessi and Nelle at the Steps... they didnt climb them due to the crouds ... at least thats what they said.. I know the truth ... they were thinking of my little legs climbing all that way!!

An invisible man!! Expect the unexpected in Italia!!!

Me at the Spanish Steps!






Desma has also learnt that a Red Cross like this X still means "no!" And a green tick is yes- even on the other side of the world..... Needless to say many giggles were had.

Nelle and I through coins into the fountain so now we have to come back! Desma didn't through some she has been here before.

We had ice creams or Galatia.... I made a new friend but I still didn't get any to share....

A saw some interesting acts in the piazza novona.....

And watched some old ruins go past our window in the bus!


So all in all a lot has been achieved today...

1 comment:

  1. LOVE your blog! You girls have been on my mind all morning since I read it - because I am extremely jealous!!! Looking forward to "following" your travels. Have great time!

    ReplyDelete